Deleting duplicate files -- how to

General discussion of the use of FontExpert font manager
Marcus

Deleting duplicate files -- how to

Post by Marcus »

I'm evaluating Font Expert before purchase. One feature I like is "Detect duplicated fonts" with the implied ability to clean up my system. After following the instructions, the search window shows that nearly all of my Windows Fonts are duplicated.

I thought this might be a registry issue (not unknown around here), so as a trial I uninstalled one of the duplicate fonts and deleted another duplicate. I left the "preferred font" in both cases. In both cases, the font disappeared from both Font Expert's list and the fonts available to applications.

It appears that what is listed as duplicate fonts aren't duplicates after all. What am I doing wrong?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If two or more fonts (for example, with the same file name) were marked as duplicates, it is needed to leave at least one of these fonts ("preferred font"). As I understand you have uninstalled one of duplicates and deleted another one. It seems that you just need to install remaining font again (to install the font that was not deleted).

Another feature allows you to verify and fix registry entries of installed fonts - Tools / Detect Font Problems menu command.

In any difficult case you can send a screen shot of Find Fonts window to our technical support e-mail and this screenshot will help us to give more detailed consulting on duplicates in this window and our recommendation how to proceed.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks for the quick reply. I will take your advice and send a screen shot to technical support.

But just for the record, this is what I did. Font Expert showed duplicates for FontNameA. I uninstalled one but left the preferred untouched. At the same time, Font Expert showed duplicates for FontNameB. I deleted one but left the preferred untouched. The result was that both FontNameA and FontNameB were missing from the list of available fonts.

Detect Font Problems found nothing wrong when I ran it beforehand.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We'll try to test this situation, although if you left two fonts untouched, both font files must remain in original locations and FontExpert must not delete any of these fonts. (One question: "were missing from the list of available fonts" - do you mean that fonts were also deleted from local disk? Or you mean the fonts were disappeared from Windows Fonts view(the list of fonts available to applications)? For example, FontExpert may mark two duplicates of FontFaceA, one of these fonts is installed, the other is inactive (but it could be marked as preferred). In this situation when you delete the first duplicate, FontExpert will also uninstall it and the font will disappear from the Windows Fonts list. In this case you can just install the second duplicate (untouched, but inactive).