explorer-style (collapsable) tree view in file list

A place for requests and discussion of new FontExpert features
greenlander

explorer-style (collapsable) tree view in file list

Post by greenlander »

i just found another "imperfection" :wink:: in the file view (workspace), a collapsable tree view (explorer style) of my font file dirs would be much more convenient for fast browsing (see my earlier post). that should be easy to implement and it would help a lot!

cheers, GL
support

Post by support »

Win Explorer combines the tree of folders on the left side with the list of files on the right side and requires two separate windows to list folders and files. It is still a development challenge, how have all of this in one window. We have implemented this type of window in Groups view which lists both folders and files. Probably we can also implement it in Files view, but there are some disadvantages. Combined tree-list window requires more width, as expanding tree of folders shifts the list of files to the right. The columns with an information about font files are shifting and jumping to the right so it is not easy to preview them. For the hierarhy of many nested folders this view may become inconvenient.
A plain list with columns is motionless and it seems it has it's own advantages.

Post by Guest »

true, but having the option of a tree view gives users width a bigger screen (most pros are 1400px and wider) extra convenience while retaining the advantage of a more compact non-tree view for users with smaller screens...
greenlander

Post by greenlander »

extra convienve = extra convenience :roll:
support

Post by support »

Although I can't promise that we will approve this enhancement, but we will discuss the possibility to have tree & list in the Files view. For example, it is not obvious how to sort folders and files in this combined view? It is possible to sort folders, and then to sort files within folders, but it is not obvious. Another way is to have folders sorted in A-Z order, and any click to column headers will toggle sorting order of files.
greenlander

Post by greenlander »

i think i haven't made myself clear :wink: sorry...

the advantage of a collapsable tree view is the fast access to subdirs and fonts within different subdirs. example: let's say i have a <linotype> dir and an <adobe> dir (among others, <agfa>,<itc>) and within those, there are subdirs for different font families. within those, each font again has its own subdir containing all weights and styles of that particular font.

so, all in all, we have at least 3 directory levels. if i need to assemble a font package for a specific project, i have to click down through all 3 levels and back up for each font i want to add to the new group. try and do that with 20 different subdirs and you'll see what i mean... :?

with a tree view, i could expand the font dirs in question (finding the right dirs is a matter of seconds if they're labelled as described above) while keeping all others collapsed, then select all desired fonts at once and add them to the new group in one swoop. now that would be neat! :D

hope this explains it a little better!
support

Post by support »

Currently this type of tree is implemented in the Groups view and it is possible to target root groups folder to the root folder with your font collection, so you will be able to see you collection as expandable tree.

Why do you browse your font library (which is relatively permanent as I guess) in the Files view instead of placing the whole library to the Groups view? We thought about the Files view as a place where you can browse folders with fonts, to pick them, but we thought that a permanent place for a collection of fonts in most cases is the Groups view.

Probably the Groups view requires another enhancement - to have the ability "to attach" several folders. For example, if you have "C:\My Fonts\Adobe Fonts" and "E:\My Collection\Monotype Fonts" collections it should be possible to attach both folders to the Groups view and these folders will appear as "Adobe Fonts" and "Monotype Fonts" root level folders in the Groups view. Both titles will be a folder shortcuts refering to original folders, fonts will not be copied physically. Both titles can be marked as Read Only to prevent deletion of any fonts within original folders.