Print Fonts Samples - Line Breaks?

General discussion of the use of FontExpert font manager
ASTRiDMan

Print Fonts Samples - Line Breaks?

Post by ASTRiDMan »

Great software!...I have a question (or possibly a feature request). I am attempting to print out a large number of fonts for a catalog.

For me the perfect font sample would go as follows:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
!@#$%^&*()_+<>?~

This shows all of the characters and remains relatively compact, perfect happy medium. However, FontExpert will not allow carriage returns in the fonts sample :( Is this possible? (Another app, FontLister allows this BUT it only does TTF fonts)

If there is a new version being worked on, is it possible to be a beta tester?
support

Post by support »

Fortunately this feature is already supported in version 6.0:

1. You should set this text in the Tools\Options\Text Sample\Text (instead of the default sample text by Shakespeare):

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
!@#$%^&*()_+<>?~

2. Then choose the "Selected Fonts - Text Samples" report as active report (in File/Report Settings...).

Multiline text samples in printed report has been added few months ago, so please make sure you have the release 2 of version 6.0.

Exactly this text should be formatted and printed OK at 24pt-32pt point sizes or smaller (depending on the font face and it's width). Current drawing code of this printing report doesn't break long lines correctly if one line goes beyond the right margin of the page - this is known issue and we'll enhance it in future. As a workaround, you can manually break long strings in your text to smaller parts.
ASTRiDMan

a few more notes

Post by ASTRiDMan »

a couple of more notes:

1. adding line breaks _directly_ in the text sample field is not possible, however, I found that creating the sample I want in notepad (line breaks and all) and then pasting that into the field works perfectly

2. for me, the issue with the line breaks only really became evident when trying to print catalogs of dingbat fonts where the character size could be much larger than your average font.

3. a few other feature requests while I'm at it :)

-placing lines between or boxes around each font in a catalog
-Page # of #
-adjustable font size (this seems to be handled automatically now, behind the scenes

After, investigating A LOT of windows font utilities in the past few weeks, you guys are very close to having the best.
support

Post by support »

You can insert line breaks to the text sample by pressing Ctrl+Enter (Tools/Options.../Text Sample). And you are right - pasting a text with line breaks also works.
The font size used at printing is selected in the font size drop-list located on the main toolbar.
We have added your suggestions to our "TO DO" list. Thanks!