Fonts not visible in Adobe CS3 software (Vista x64)

General discussion of the use of FontExpert font manager
thinkwelldesigns

Fonts not visible in Adobe CS3 software (Vista x64)

Post by thinkwelldesigns »

:twisted: :evil: I've got a problem that is a COLOSSAL pain.

I'm using FontExpert R4 on Vista x64 bit with Adobe CS3 software.

Anyway, every day I have to reinstall my fonts which is a crashing pain.

I'm browsing to the fonts from the files window and installing from there. Next day, I have to repeat the process even though FontExpert seems to thing the fonts are still installed. :shock:

When I right-click on the font and click install, I always get this message:

The "xyz" font is already installed or temporarily activated: /path/to/font, etc.

Do you want to reinstall the font?

I click yes and I'm off to the races. What am I doing wrong here? It is behaving like temporary activation, but I am permanently activating the fonts, at least following that procedure.

Any ideas?

Admin:
Windows Vista has an issue: Vista does not activate permanently installed PostScript fonts after the restart of Windows. As a result, the PS fonts are present in Windows registry, but do not appear in font menus of Windows applications when you restart Windows. FontExpert 2009 ver. 10.0 solves this problem. FontExpert setup installs in Vista a small utility (Type1Loader) which loads PostScript fonts on Windows startup. See this Help topic for more information: http://www.proximasoftware.com/fontexpe ... loader.htm
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems this problem is described in this topic:
"Can’t see activated Postscript fonts in Adobe CS2 proggs"
http://www.proximasoftware.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=135

>When I right-click on the font and click install, I always get this message:
>The "xyz" font is already installed or temporarily activated: /path/to/font, etc.

Yes, FontExpert displays this message when it finds the font installed (the font is present in the registry key where PostScript fonts are listed) or when the font is activated temporarily.

Choose Tools/Show Installed Fonts... or Tools/Show Activated Fonts... to get the list of the fonts installed permanently and the list of fonts activated temporarily.

If you see the font in one of two lists, it means that the font is active, and if you try to install the font file again from the Fonts view, FontExpert will display this message.

If you have Adobe InDesign and you use our Missing Fonts Loader plug-in with it, is it possible that the plug-in activates these fonts (when you open InDesign document where the font is used in formatting)?
Last edited by admin on Fri May 18, 2007 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
thinkwelldesigns

The fonts are showing under the "Installed Permanently" section, as I attempted to communicate in my initial post.

What is so frustrating is that the fonts are NOT actually available in any program, without actually going through the process of reinstalling them through FontExpert every time I reboot.

But FontExpert still does show them to be installed permanently when I first open the program. And yet the fonts aren't available.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The fonts are present in Windows registry, but it seems Windows doesn't load them automatically on the system startup. (And it's the reason why fonts are not visible to Windows applications.)

Some thoughts:

1. Please see below the information from prodic (posted: 16 May 2007 11:28 am): "Hopefully Adobe knows about this issue on Vista..."

2. Another idea is that Windows can't resolve the path to font for some reason.
I remember that I've seen this behavior on one computer few years ago and the reason was the following: the fonts were installed on "substituted" logical drive (e.g. W:\MyFonts\...) and this drive ( "W:" ) was not available at the time of Windows startup. (In this case try to move fonts to some local folder on C: drive.)

Please save the list of installed fonts on your computer to XLS or CSV file (Tools/Show Installed Fonts..., "Save To File..." button) and send to our support@ e-mail in attachment, I'll try to get any idea.
Last edited by admin on Fri May 18, 2007 3:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
prodic

Post by prodic »

Hi,

Any news on this subject?
I seem to have the same problem "thinkwelldesigns" with Vista x64 and Adobe Creative Suite CS3.

The fonts are active in FontExpert2006(rev. 5), but are not available in eg. InDesign CS3 or any other program from Creative Suite.

And since we're planning on 35+ licenses this rather important problem would be nice to get rid of.

Best regards,
Kenneth Madsen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Finally I guess about the reason of the problem because you mention Adobe applications.
Do the fonts at the same time visible in other Windows applications (WinWord, WordPad)?

Adobe programs don't see temporarily activated PostScript fonts, try to install fonts permanently (choose "Install" instead of "Activate Temporarily", or press "green" button instead of "orange").
We consider this behaviour as a bug of Adobe applications.
(But this proplem must not appear with TrueType and OpenType fonts).
The problem is described in this topic:
"Can’t see activated Postscript fonts in Adobe CS2 proggs"
http://www.proximasoftware.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=135
We plan to update our Missing Fonts Loader plug-in for Adobe InDesign to resolve this problem. (The plug-in by default activates all missing fonts temporarily.)
Last edited by admin on Fri May 18, 2007 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
prodic

Post by prodic »

As you mentioned the fonts(postscript) can be seen in Word or a similar application, but not in any Adobe application.
Sadly it makes no difference if I install the fonts permanently or not. The fonts are still only available in Word and not in eg. InDesign.

As you've also mentioned the problem doesn't appear with TrueType or OpenType-fonts.

Hopefully Adobe knows about this issue on Vista, and will provide a fix shortly, or your Missing Fonts-loader will be updated within 1-3 weeks.
That might enable us to use Vista instead of XP.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is probably a simple bug of Adobe InDesign on Vista x64, and (I guess) in XP x64.
(In our FontExpert we have fixed issues conserning Vista x64 and XP x64 in FontExpert 2006 version 8.0 Release 4.)

If you see this in XP 32-bit, simple restart of Adobe InDesign may solve the problem. Adobe InDesign will refresh the list of available fonts on startup and installed fonts must appear in InDesign menu.

At least, I have not seen this problem in InDesign CS2 with PostScript fonts. After the restart fonts always appear in InDesign menu list (in Windows XP 32-bit).
ssohn

Post by ssohn »

Well, to be exact, it's not a bug, since Adobe does not officially support WinXP/Vista x64. But it is true that Adobe Photoshop, illustrator and InDesign DO have this nasty PS1 fonts not being visible issue on WinXP/Vista x64. (no problem on Flash CS3, Dreamweaver CS3, or QuarkXPress 7.2)

In fact, it's not just Adobe's latest CS3 software, but CS2 software DOES have the very same problem.

As far as I know, Adobe is aware of this issue and suggests user to use OpenType fonts or directly copy PS1 font files (*.pfb and *.pfm files) into (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\) folder to make them visible.

Currently, there is no font managing software that can resovle this issue on CS3. However, Extensis Suitcase 11 somehow resolvse this PS1 font not being visible on Adobe CS2 software issue when you install auto-activation plug-in is installed.

Hope this helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for posting!

CS2 versions of Adobe programs (InDesign CS2, Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2) will not have problems with Type 1 fonts if fonts are installed permanently ("Install" command used instead of "Activate Temporarily" in FontExpert).

FontExpert Missing Fonts Loader plug-in for InDesign CS2 also solves this problem for temporarily activated fonts - Type 1 fonts also become visible in InDesign CS2.

We will test CS3 versions of Adobe applications in Windows XP (32-bit), XP x64t, Vista (32-bit), Vista x64 and I hope we will clarify this question here on forum in more details.
thinkwelldesigns

I certainly hope something is resolved here. It's beyond annoying and avoiding the permanent installation of fonts is one of the reasons to use Font Expert.