Suggestions / Feature requests

A place for requests and discussion of new FontExpert features
bernd.kay

Suggestions / Feature requests

Post by bernd.kay »

Hi,

I was toying with the FontExpert Software a little, I had a couple of ideas...

-> Compare Fonts

Requested already but really a helpful feature. Thats what all the fonts are about, comparing them and choosing the one fitting the best...
It could be done with multiple Font Sample Windows or more than one font in the existing one. (Like an Font Sample Compare Window which
collects all the fonts I mark for comparison) This way you could also compare two Font Sample Texts (eg. Headline/Text-Block)

Another idea could be to have an option to overlay two fonts in a transparent way, that its easy to see the (sometimes very small) differences.

-> Font Sample Windows

I can edit the Text, but not have multiple sizes of the sample text. Sometimes it would be nice to have a quick and direct comparison between 12pt and 36pt.

-> Preview multiple folders

I sort the fonts in folders and it would be cool if i dont have to jump around from folder to folder, but be able to select which folder to display. For example my three favorite foundrys... (ACDsee has a similar function, just google "ACDsee folder preview" and it should be clearer)

-> Sorting by Subfamilyname

Not sure if it is really called this way, but with bigger font families I like to see them sorted hairline to ultra and I just can´t get that working... Maybe sorting by font weight?

-> Better templates for Font preview printing.

Maybe a possibility to import templates from Indesign? Showing ligatures, Opentype features, showing more styles of the same family (thin, light, black, ultra etc)

-> A better way of finding similar fonts

I love Dafont.com for the categories, maybe some form of look-up-through-the-interweb?

Well so much for now, will play around a bit more. Hope feedback helps...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions / Feature requests

Post by admin »

Thanks!
bernd.kay

Post by bernd.kay »

Hi,

any chance to bring the "include subfolder" option to see all fonts in a selected folder even if they are sorted in subfolders into the next release?

Or in the group panel, if I select the root of a group, it doesnt show all the included fonts, even if i tag the "include subfolder" option?

Would be thrilled to see that :-)

Bye B.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the Groups view please make sure the "[x] Include fonts within subfolders" menu command in right-click menu is checked. In this case the Main view should display all fonts within selected group and all fonts located in subfolders of the selected group folder.
bernd.kay

Post by bernd.kay »

Ok. I figured it out. I was selecting the "root"-folder of the groups and nothing happened. But when I appointed one folder higer in the structure it actually worked. well, kind of :-)

Still hoping for more control over "include subfolders" and "selecting more folders" eg. display all fonts of two foundrys/folders at the same time in one of the next releases.
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

I just want to say that I also would really appreciate a more functional "include subfolders" option. Can we have it for just the folders view and can it be togglable button ? In my opinion this would be the best solution. Please and thank you!

Cheers
Sacha