Customizing the file renaming process

A place for requests and discussion of new FontExpert features
kfisher

Customizing the file renaming process

Post by kfisher »

Hi,

Firstly, I'd like to say that FontExpert is fantastic software. I've tried other products (some not so cheap) and I've yet to find any that balance both power and speed as FontExpert does.

I have a small comment and suggestion about the file renaming feature. I noticed that, while extremely useful, it's naive enough to cause conflicts in certain situations. For instance, when renaming the fonts

AGaramond LT Semibold Italic.otf and
AGaramond LT Bold Italic.otf,

both end up as

AGaramond LT Bold Italic.otf

since the latter has "Bold" in the family name (It would have a subfamily name of "Regular" if not for the "Italic"). FontExpert sidesteps the issue by numbering the files so I can fix them by hand. It's clear that these ambiguous cases are going to be on the far edge -- I've only run across a small handful of them. Still, it would be nice to be able to have a little more control. Perhaps instead of the "hard-coded" method currently in place, a simple custom variable-based expression, like,

%FamilyName% (%SubfamilyName%).%Ext%

that would build the names

AGaramond LT (Bold Italic).otf and
AGaramond LT Bold (Italic).otf

might work better. This would allow freedom of both the structure of the name (punctuation, order), as well as the kinds of information included, such as the version, foundry, categories, etc. -- for those that have particular organizational tastes. Thanks for your time, and your great software.

- Kenneth

P.S. Perhaps a bit exotic, but I can image %familyname% and %FAMILYNAME% specifying lower and upper case names, respectively, negating the need for the "File name case" drop-down. Obviously, an %OriginalFileName% variable would be needed for those that simply want to change case (or for some reason keep the original name somewhere in there).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry for late reply, I will use your suggestion when develop new version of FontExpert. Thanks!
kfisher

Post by kfisher »

Thanks for listening, that's great news. Looking forward to see it in action !

- Kenneth
kfisher

Re: Customizing the file renaming process

Post by kfisher »

Hi, was wondering if there was any news on this feature at the moment? Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This enhancement has not been implemented in version 11, but thank you for reminding about this feature, we have included it to development list for version 12.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your suggestion for custom format "%Family% (%Subfamily%)" is implemented in FontExpert 2013 version 12.0 Release 1. Please contact us if you want to try beta-release of new version 12 with this feature.